Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Only children and why they're better.

Okay. Maybe I'm bias (not maybe, I totally am), but after some Google research, I'm glad in my findings. And I'm glad I have an only child (who will stay an only child forever.)

So maybe you're the person without a child who clicked on this. If so, I hope you learn some things you never knew. If you're the outraged "HOW DARE SHE SAY THAT" person, I hope you learn some things. If you're the parent of an only child (only children clique, yo), I hope you read this and feel secure in the facts <3

So let's start out. I have an almost 2 year old. She is beautiful, smart, wonderful, super chill, and also an only child. DUN DUN DUN! How could a child be so amazing, and yet us not want anymore? Because we don't. And that should be enough of a reason. But we'll get back to that later on.

Here are some facts, studies, and others. Please, I beg of you, do some of your own too.

I know what some of you are saying. "B-b-but HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO SUCH AN INNOCENT CHILD. She neeeeds a sibling. Wah-wah-wah."
In reality:  "If you have one child, you are made to feel guilty for not having another. Your mother, your friends, even strangers tell you that "You can't have just one. How can you do that to your child?" It's become a numbers war among parents that has exposed one of the best kept family secrets: One child is quietly becoming the new traditional family." That's right. One in five families have an only child. Here's a hip question-answer from Psychology Today. 

"But you're being SELFISH! You only care about yourself!!1!!" 
"Instead of making family choices to fulfill breeding assignments we imagine we’ve been given, we might ensure that our most profound choice is a purely independent, personal one. To do so might even feel like something people rarely associate with parenting: it might feel like freedom."
Yup, You caught me. I'm selfish. 
Read some of this.
While you're at it, read this one too.
And this.
And this.
And this.

But like I said, do your own research.

For all your "evidence", I have facts to back me up
"Evidence" is: "Well, I knew someone who was an only child who was miserable. Yadda-yadda-yadda."

I like motherhood. I love having just my daughter. We have so much freedom! If we had another, our whole life would change, and I wouldn't like it. Sure, if it happens, it happens. But we are NOT planning for it at all, and we are trying our best to prevent it. You would think us really REALLY just not wanting another would be enough. But apparently it isn't. And that makes me sad. I should be miserable because some people think we should have another? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Don't get me wrong, both my husband and I grew up with siblings. And our childhoods were ight. And guess what, we STILL don't want Kara to have a sibling. I love my sister so much. I really do. I'm glad I had her to grow up with. But that doesn't change my decision.

We are able to just leave the house whenever we want. We don't have two kids fighting for our attention. We are able to save up for a college fund instead of having to save up more multiple. We don't have to worry about feeding 4+ people. We can go to every sport event, art event, etc because we don't have multiple kids with separate schedules and trying to make every single one. We can invest in Kara's activities, like making sure she has everything she needs for it, and wants. And you know what, there's a bunch more. I don't see any cons so far.

And is it just me, or do families with only one child look more put together? Lol. Maybe that's not always true. But from my "evidence", when we go places the people with multiple kids need the bulky strollers, yelling at one kid, trying to get them to stop yelling at each other, etc. And the people with onlies are just kinda going down aisles looking like regular shoppers. Lmao.

So what I'm trying to say is. No one wants your opinions about their parenting. NO ONE. I tend to just sit there and try my best to ignore when people feel the need to flap their lips about my choices. Just spare everyone time and mind your own business. My child is happy, healthy, and so very awesome. And lots of onlies are well put together, just like lots of children with siblings are happy and put together.

So this is it. We have one child, and we are more than happy. We love the idea of only having one, and even possibly homeschooling her. GASP. But I'll dive more into that in another post <3

Hope you enjoyed my rant session. Don't judge others choices. Chances are they don't care what others think anyway. And if you can't tell, I don't really mean onlies are better. Just like having siblings isn't better. All comes down to choices, and lifestyles.
See my post about biking next!

No comments:

Post a Comment